Thursday, September 4, 2008

Rover, Fido or Izzy?

Best friend adopted a shelter dog today - pre-named Izzy. Odd name for a girl, and a golden retriever, we think, tho my friend says "she kinda looks like an Izzy."
That's the fascinating thing about names: They have connotation and undefinable mojo. And they have the power to attract and repell. There is a certain boy's name that I could swear is a marker for ADHD -- I've yet to meet a child with this particular moniker who didn't exhibit the signs -- but it continues to be wildly popular with other parents, so maybe it's just me. Then again, the only Izzy I can recall was a pretty cool character in the novel "Fried Green Tomatoes," so that name is growing on me.

7 comments:

gussie said...

I like Izzy - but the Friend Green Tomato quote was "Idgie" I think - let's check for sure.

Love your blog.

Towanda

L. Kelly said...

You know, everyone needs an editor! I didn't look up that name before I posted and should have. Thanks for the reminder!

Amy D. said...

Surely Izzy is short for her full name, Isabella — a name I adore. And what's the name? Hope it's not one I named one of my sons!

Suzanne said...

Hee!!! Our sweet Izzy girl! :)

I agree the name is kind of weird but has a certain mojo. I only just recently learned about the "Grey's Anatomy" character, after sharing the name with people. But how cool that she's a beautiful golden-haired gal, just like our dog. :-P

Can't wait for you guys to meet her.

L. Kelly said...

No worries, Amy, I would have warned you off!

L. Kelly said...

Suz, that pup has a tons of personality in her photos - bet she's a pistol!

Linda said...

My nephew named his daughter Isobel, but they call her Izzy!